Face-to-Face Service Update

From 1 April 2023 Dundee City Council Customer Services will no longer provide a face-to-face service for enquiries at Dundee House. Tayside Pension Fund will, until further notice, continue to be able to offer face to face meetings but only by appointment. To make an appointment please phone 01382 307900.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What happens if I change my address

If you change your address please inform us as soon as possible. This can be done by email, letter, call or logging in to the member self service portal and updating this.

If you are actively employed and paying into the scheme please make sure you have updated your address with your employer.

What happens if I change my bank or building society details?

Please contact us in writing, email or letter, with the new details as well as a contact telephone number to complete security checks

Click here for links to a number of websites that you may find helpful.

Useful links